Sunday, July 11, 2010

C# TDD with Visual Studio

I have been working with C# in the .NET world for a while now, but I can't help being puzzled by something. There are plenty of tools around that help the developer to work with Visual Studio, but in a test driven environment, the cycle seems far too slow and painful to be of value. Trying to drive development with tests is almost not worth it - by the time the test has run, its been such a long time, I've almost forgotten my ideas or train of thought. But then again - maybe its just my age!

Are there any tricks I am missing out on? Are there language or tool constraints? Working with Java on Eclipse is quick and relatively easy - working in Ruby it's a breeze - so in these environments, its really fun. However, I do believe that without certain support from the language and toolsets, blind adoption of certain (mostly useful and powerful) techniques is actually counterproductive.

Any thoughts or ideas welcome.

4 comments:

Paul said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paul said...

In 2010 I can't believe that Microsoft hasn't woken up to the wonders of incremental compilation. Having to build the whole assembly every time you want to run your tests is an absolute pain.

Lets be honest the Agile wave has been slow to hit the .NET community, and from what I've seen even the early adopters are of the "Me too" variety.

If you really care about Agility and TDD you wouldn't choose .NET. It's that simple.

After all, TDD wasn't invented by Microsoft, hence the majority of the .NET community don't care :)

Paul.

Andrew Walker said...

Paul, I think there is some truth behind your comments. The .NET community are not renowned for their progressive nature. However, I expected more.

Maybe there is another perspective that I haven't seen yet - or maybe I am just naive.

Hire Dot Net Programmer & Developer said...

Hi,
I found your post is very informative. The article is professionally written and I feel like the author knows the subject very well.Keep it that way.will we talk in this weekend through the email??


Nick
E:- hire.netprogrammer.com@gmail.com