Sunday, April 27, 2008

One Thing at a Time

I was thinking about this subject the other day, as the pressure was really on to deliver several projects at once. Some team members were being asked to work on several projects at once to deliver functionality in the very near future, but I would rather have them focus on a single project, deliver that and then move on to the next priority in line.

Initially I thought that it was acceptable, since sometimes we have slower times than others, when we are waiting on a dependency beyond our control - I know it shouldn't happen but many times things are just outside your sphere of influence.

Then I thought back to the classic book 'The Goal' by Eliyahu Goldratt. If anyone has not read this book, I thoroughly recommend it. The book talks suggests that we shouldn't try to suboptimize parts of the system, rather optimize the whole system. It also says that any system where all its resources are busy 100% of the time will suffer, its ok to have some resources idle some of the time - as long as its for the good of the system as a whole.

Some iterative methodologies deal with these issues by laying down ground rules based on the iteration length - nothing can change during that window of time. Its odd though, how these things can creep up on you in an unsuspecting manner and you find yourself context switching so much, you feel you're not doing a good job of anything.

Oh well, I've done my bit to demotivate for the day.

No comments: